Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Sunday, June 12, 2011
BetterProvidence & Common Cause RI
A COMMUNITY FORUM
Proposed creation of the I-195 Redevelopment District Commission
MONDAY, JUNE 13
6:00 – 7:30 PM
Doors open at 5:00 pm
The Spot Underground
15 Elbow St., Providence, RI 02903
With the surprising announcement of a proposed I-195 Redevelopment District Commission, uncertainty hangs over the state-owned land in Providence’s Jewelry District. With legislation to create the commission moving through the General Assembly this forum provides an opportunity to bring public officials, and other key stakeholders together so the public can ask questions about the rapidly evolving proposal. Some key areas to be discussed include:
- Does the proposed Commission best serve the public interest, including the people of the City of Providence, as well as the State of Rhode Island?
- Has there been sufficient public input in the legislative process?
- Is the proposed commission an effective way to ensure efficient economic development of this large State-owned land parcel in Providence -- or is it “the next secure feed bag for the well-connected,” as described by the Providence Journal editors?
Moderator: Mike Ritz, Executive Director of Leadership Rhode Island and I Heart Providence
Invitations to speak have been extended to:
· The sponsors of the legislation and General Assembly leadership
· The Mayor of Providence
· The Governor of Rhode Island
· The Rhode Island Attorney General
· The Jewelry District Association
The Jewelry District Association
Greater City: Providence
This event is free and open to the public.
Media coverage is invited.